This workshop will meet June 26 and 27 from 8:30am – 3:30pm on both days.
Kate Kinsella, Ed.D. is a teacher educator at San Francisco State University and a highly-sought after speaker and consultant to school districts and state departments throughout the US. A teacher’s teacher, she maintains active K-12 classroom involvement by writing curriculum, teaching demonstration lessons, and coaching both teachers and administrators. She is the author of widely-used instructional programs to support English learners and under-resourced classmates, including READ 180, English 3D, and the Academic Vocabulary Toolkit.
This two-day workshop will focus on developing the educators’ pedagogy to effectively engage diverse learners in improving students’ language, literacy, classroom collaboration and text-dependent writing, and providing practical guidance and resources to help all students become more agile and confident communicators in reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Participants will learn effective ways to:
- Engage learners at every English proficiency level in academic discussions
- Explicitly teach high-utility words linked to academic speaking and writing competencies
- Introduce and unpack a model paper exemplifying the elements of a CCSS-aligned writing type (narrative, opinion, informative, argument, summary-response)
- Frontload rhetorical conventions and academic language for specific writing types
- Write effective language objectives addressing academic interaction and writing demands
- Set up and monitor productive student collaboration including language targets
- Provide a student-friendly analytical rubric that specifies the attributes of the writing type
It is highly recommended that individuals attend in TEAMS (Gen. Ed., ELA, and ELL teachers; Principals; and district ELL and ELA Directors).
12 Clock hours for $24 will be available.
Course fee includes lunch and parking. While best effort has been made to ensure there are food options to meet everyone’s needs, individuals with dietary restrictions may wish to bring supplemental food/snack items for the day.